Why I Dislike the First Day of School


Today marks the first day of school for all the public schoolers in our neighborhood.  Tomorrow, I meet my college students face-to-face.  This might come as a surprise, but I hate dislike the first day of school.  Yep, I'm a teacher and I just admitted it.  Here's why.

I teach because I like connecting with students.  Building a bond.  Building a relationship with students - the easy ones and the hard ones.  You know the hard ones.  The ones who don't trust you until one week before the semester ends.  The ones who never smile in your class even though you know that story you just told was funny.  The ones that make you realize the best things in life are worth your time and effort.

I teach because I want my students to know I care.  I genuinely want them to succeed and grow. John Maxwell's quote sums this up, "Students don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."  I care completely.  Most times too much.

So, tomorrow, college students, when I meet you for the first time, please know that behind my cup of Earl Grey tea, I am really excited to meet you.  I just prefer the second week of school.  You know.  When we know each other a touch more.  When we are more connected.

Deep breath.  Happy school year.

Jen