Picnik for Tech Tuesday


UPDATE:  SINCE PICNIK CLOSED, 
I KNOW USE PICMONKEY!  
YAY!  I LOVE IT EVEN MORE!

Shhh...don't tell my Photoshop Elements.  I have a confession to make.  I am having an affair with Picnik


How can I live with my disgust and insincerity, yet feel so happy and productive and creative and alive?  If I wasn't so inspired by Picnik, I would loathe myself, but instead, I'm typing this blog post with a cat-that-just-ate-the-canary grin.

Picnik is a free, web-based tool that allows you to manipulate photos and create your own images - like logos.  If you go back to my post here, the collage was made with Picnik.  These photos:  created on Picnik.  For an upcoming post on Thanksgiving day, the photo was manipulated (recolored and text added) with Picnik.  Wait until you see my new series coming in December - Craftucation Nation (sneak peek below).  The banner for Craftucation Nation was created with Picnik.  Yep, I am loving all the creative font choices on Picnik and the plethora of stickers, frames, and effects.  Having this affair with Picnik is bliss.




Look at this other cool Picnik feature - Cloning.  I took one picture and cloned out Lil O:

This is the same photo remember, I just took out Lil O!



Crazy, huh? I plan to work on my facial wrinkles next :)

Two tips:

1.  You can upgrade to a premium Picnik account, but I don't think that's necessary for beginners.  There is sooo much to explore in the free option and you don't even need to sign-up for Picnik to use it; no log-ins are required!  However, since I am having a mad, passionate love affair with Picnik, I did upgrade for $24.95 for the year; it is worth every penny, in my artistic opinion.
2.  To make your own logos and designs (like I did way above), you will need to create a blank jpeg file that can act like a blank canvas.  You can easily do this in PowerPoint or another program.  To do so in PowerPoint, just open PowerPoint, make a blank slide with nothing on it and then save the blank slide as a "jpeg" file.  Here is a screenshot for my visual blog readers....(if you have difficulty doing this, email me and I will send you a blank file).



Since Thanksgiving is right around the corner for many of you, fabulous blog readers, why not start a new Thanksgiving tradition and gather around a computer and enjoy PicnikYou might fall madly in love like I have.  And shhh, remember our little secret.

Jen

PS - Here is a super clear tutorial on how to use the premium package of Picnik to make collages.  If you type "Picnik" into YouTube, you will also see more tutorials to explore.

{NEW SERIES COMING IN DECEMBER}


(Typography added in Picnik; Frame from Photoshop Express App for iPhone;
Trader Joe Nation - a work in progress)