DIY Chalkboard Ornament

DIY chalkboard ornament

Crafting fuels my soul.  Does it do the same for yours?

This ornament could not be any easier.  Seriously. I'm slightly embarrassed that I am writing a tutorial about it.  But, since not everyone is a crafter, I figure, better to explain the process than leave it to chance.  This ornament is also under $5, which is good because today Lil O and I are bringing the ornament to an ornament exchange and we were supposed to stay under $5.  Mission accomplished.

Here we go....

First, gather your supplies.  The ornament was literally $1 from our local Dollar Tree store.  I purchased the chalkboard spray paint from Joann Crafts with a 50% off coupon.  I think it cost $3 after the coupon.  Yay!  I also used a coupon to buy the chalkboard bistro marker, but in the end decided old-fashioned chalk for ($1.49) looked best.  Chocolate is optional!  Lil O gifted that piece of chocolate to me. Ha!  I will explain the painters tape in a moment.

chalkboard ornament supplies

Tape off the top of the ornament and the string with painters tape, so it does not get covered in spray paint.  Then, go outside and spray away.  I like to keep my arm moving while I spray paint so it doesn't get too globby.


After you spray the first coat, let the coat dry for a few hours.  I wasn't in a hurry, so I left the ornament to dry overnight.   Then, spray a second coat and let that coat dry, too.

The next step is key.  You have to "cure" your chalkboard surface.  You do this by rubbing the side of a piece of chalk all over it.  Lil O and I had extra fun by rubbing the chalk all over the ornament with our hands, too.  Girls just gotta have fun, right?


For the grand finale, with a damp paper towel, wipe off the cured chalk.  Your ornament is now ready for chalk doodles and giving!

Easy, no?


If you make a DIY Chalkboard Ornament, post a photo on our Facebook page here.  I'm certain it will brighten my day (and maybe others).

Speaking of today, have a fantastic day, Upcyclists!  I hope to post more craft ideas before Christmas.

xoxo,

Jen