Brave Lessons {No. 3}


To keep myself accountable for my word for 2014, Brave, I started a new series, Brave Lessons. You can find the first installations here and here.  This is what I have learned since those two posts about Brave and here's what I am celebrating:
  • I am wondering if Brave is too strong of a word for me.  Brave can mean "ready to face or endure unpleasant conditions."
  • With that kind of intense meaning, I don't necessarily need Brave on a daily or even weekly basis, but I do need to Be Strong or Be Bold.
  • Can I change my 2014 word?  I imagine the universe and whomever keeps the rulebook on words wouldn't call foul, right?
  • So.... I've been playing with Be Strong for over a week now.  I'm finding that phrase keeps me focused, courageous, bold, and in the moment.  Perhaps, better than Brave.
  • But, I'm also not 100% ready to jump ship from Brave.  I need another couple of weeks to try all the words on for size.
As for celebrations.....
  • I am celebrating that I'm open minded to switching words.  It seems most people pick a word and stick with it.  I think there is some Bravery in saying publicly, I may have made a mistake.
What's helping me since I keep forgetting I have a word this year.....
  • Structures!  For example, one of my structures is the sun.  When I feel the sun intensely beaming on my face, I stop, face it and think about how I am honoring Brave (or Be Strong).  In coaching, we call those little reminders "structures."  The structure reminds me of the word (and action) and anchors me back to it.
  • Another structure I've been using is painted just one of my fingernails a different color. When it catches my eye, I think about Being Strong or Brave.  A coaching friend taught me that structure and I love it.
What structures do you use?  Got any nifty ideas to share with me?

Bravely Yours (or Strongly, which doesn't sound as poetic),
Jen