Food and Parties: My Debbie Downer Philosophy


It is almost that time of the year again.  Celebrations for Valentine's Day (or something cleverly disguised as such).  Some of you may dislike me for this stance.  But, I can't stand celebrations in the classroom that include food.  Why? Let's make this simple.

Childhood obesity.  Diabetes.  Food allergies.  Food intolerance and sensitivities.  Celiac Disease.  Prader-Willi Syndrome.

Someone is going to be left-out.  And that someone is going to be a kid who is alienated all the time at birthday parties, family gatherings, most restaurants and just about every theme park on the planet.  Why do they need to feel left-out again in our classrooms?

Join me in saying "No" to food in our classrooms for celebrations.  Save the food stuff for at home.  Instead, say "Yes" to alternative celebratory activities:
  • Hat day!
  • Pajama day!
  • Crazy hair day!
  • Backwards clothing day!
  • Read your favorite story or magazine day!
  • Bring your iPod, iTouch and headphones to school day!
  • Bring a special person to school day!
  • Reverse schedule day!
  • Silly music day!
  • Awesome music day!
  • Pirate day!
  • You get the drift day!
I don't mean to be Debbie Downer, I am just so tired of our kids having to feel alienated one more time, in a place that should be inclusive - our classrooms.

Join me - please!

Jen

PS - If you must include food in your classroom, make the food decoration, yes?  Little O and I made this from this tutorial in about 1.5 hours.  We both have the hot glue gun marks to prove it.