The #skinny on Hashtags {for Tech Tuesday}

I am in the midst of developing a hashtag stamp for Upcycled Education's new stamp shop.  I see hashtag items everywhere - besides the obvious Twitter and Instagram.  For example, if I didn't elope with Mr. UpCyclist, I think this would be fun on a simple cake.  I love clever greeting cards like these.  And this onesie is soooo funny.  Hashtag madness, I tell ya.




Here is the skinny on hashtags for Tech Tuesday (or should I say #techtuesday?):

  • Though the use of hashtags date back to 1988, the popularity of hashtags started with an innovator, Chris Messina, on Twitter in 2007.  He proposed using hashtags to corral a group of people he was communicating with; If everyone used the same hashtag, they could easily find each other's tweets.
  • Hashtags work best on social media platforms like Twitter, Instagram and Google+.  Facebook just announced it will support hashtags and Pinterest has said "perhaps, in the future" - which is why I require my students to add hashtags to their pinning projects.  We will be ready!
  • Hashtags are actual metadata tags that use keywords and phrases to summarize a main idea.
  • Hashtags make searching for information easier.  With the size of the Internet and the World Wide Web, I say three cheers for easier searching.  Hip, Hip, Hurray!
  • Hashtagging is a test of creative thinking, in my opinion.  Say a baby is born....you could hashtag #newbaby or #birth or #firstborn.  OR to be abstractly creative, you could hashtag that same experience with #life or #bestday or #theregoessleep - see what I mean?  Hashtags creatively summarize an experience.
Which is exactly why we need a hashtag stamp for educators.  Students could summarize what they know or learned using a clever hashtag stamp.

#whatdoyouthink?

Jen


PS - If you want to see what's trending in the world of hashtags, click here.  I would just keel over if I saw #upcyclededucation listed.  I don't know about you, but spelling out that hashtag takes too much time.  #lazyme

#ithinkyouarethecoolestblogreaderever