Warming Up to Brave


Apparently, I was warming up to my 2014 word, Brave, back in November.

Keynote #3 didn't just drop into my lap.  Brave had something to do with it.

One of my favorite vice presidents at my college emailed me and asked if I would suggest someone to deliver the upcoming keynote address to our college.  For the last three years, I've been working with all sorts of movers and shakers in Washington, DC as part of a special commission, so at this point, I kind of know people - accomplished people.  I put together a list of my favorite, motivating speakers and sent the list to her lickety-split.

The next morning on a hike, I thought, "You know what?  I could give that keynote just as well as any of them!  Plus, I have something to say!"

As soon as I returned home from my hike, I emailed her and pitched my idea.  I remember thinking, "I can't believe I'm just about to send this email to her."  And before I could talk myself out of it, I hit send.  She replied right away and said she loved the idea, but ultimately, it was not for her to make the final decision; others at my college would decide.

And so, I waited.  And hoped they'd forget I even put my name in the hat.  And one day.  One beautiful day.  I received an email congratulating me.  I would be giving the next keynote address at my college.

Me.  The girl who wanted to live bravely.

Jen