The Email that Changed my Life

Jen and Sue

Almost two years ago, an old friend from teaching in Ecuador, Sue, sent out one of those mass emails.  You know the kind.  When you email your entire contact list.  Her email announced her new career - life coaching - and she asked for volunteers to practice her skills on.  Doing her a favor, I said, sure.  And we scheduled a (free) 30-minute appointment by phone for Sue to coach me.  I had zero idea what life coaching was at the time.

When I hung up from my 30-minute appointment, I remember saying to Mr. UpCyclist.  I don't know what Sue costs, but I need her.  Thankfully, Mr. UpCyclist takes me seriously most of the time and said, hire her.

I did, bought a package of 12 coaching sessions, and the deluge of life changes ensued.

If you read this blog on a regular basis, you know I not only adore Sue and her skills, but I went to coaching training myself to acquire those skills, too.  Like a said way back in the fall, every molecule of me has changed as a result of that training.

But, it's bigger than that.  Since working with Sue, I know there are several things in my life that came as a direct result of her coaching, my openness to change, my own coach training, and endless support from my village.  I'm pretty certain, I would have not pursued....

  • The cycling team
  • Stamp Shop (which just closed last Wednesday for the summer)
  • Keynote speaking
  • Taking on coaching clients
  • This blog on such a regular basis
  • This podcast with Elise
  • My new website
  • My upcoming sabbatical in the fall to write a book (I announced this in the podcast)
So many amazing things have happened as a result of that one mass email.  I thought about that over the weekend as I spent time in person with Sue.  That one mass email totally changed my life.  My confidence has risen, my life purpose is more clear, my parenting has become more spacious and open, and my connection to what's truly important to me (my husband, family, dear friends, Jedi, my students, time in nature, being creative, following my passions - all of my values) is where I place my energy.

Grateful isn't a strong enough word for how I feel. 

Jen